Welcome to the WEA National Board Jump Start information page
Why a "Jump Start"?
In a conversation with some seasoned NBCT candidate support group facilitators, the following question came up: "If you had the luxury of several days to work with National Board candidates before they started the certification process, what things do you think would be most helpful to them?" We think you'll like their answer. Jump Start seminars are designed to provide National Board candidates with important information about the certification process, time to examine portfolio and Assessment Center requirements, the opportunity to plan how to meet requirements, and time to draft and get feedback on ideas for the first portfolio entry - all in a supportive, constructive, and collegial environment.
Who should attend?
Teachers who are committed to starting the National Board process or NBCTs whose renewal is pending within a year or two should attend the Jump Start training appropriate to their needs. National Board Jump Start participants should be registered candidates with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards before the start of the seminar they attend. Priority access for open seminar seats will be given to those candidates who are officially registered with NBPTS. We regret that we will likely only be able to accommodate those who have already completed the three-year teaching requirement. We encourage those who will meet the three year requirement at the end of the school year to register for one of our summer events.
If you are registered with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) you will receive an invitation to register for Jump Start.
Items to Note:
Jump Start participants should be registered candidates with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) before the start of the seminar they attend. Because this is a WEA-sponsored event, priority access into open seminar seats will be given to WEA members who are officially registered with NBPTS.
- To pay your initial $65 National Board registration fee and obtain a National Board ID number please Contact NBPTS.
- For information regarding the Washington State National Board conditional loan, please Contact OSPI.
What is Jump Start?
WEA offers three National Board Jump Start events each summer:
1. National Board Jump Start (4-day session for full National Board candidacy):
WEA's National Board Jump Start is a 4-day seminar that provides early support to new National Board candidates who are ready to begin the full candidacy process. This training provides key information and organizational assistance to help candidates understand and be successful in the certification procedure ahead. Jump Start is intended to complement yearlong candidate support provided by university and district programs and is led by a fun and dynamic team of National Board Certified Teachers (NBCTs). Each year we offer two or three four-day seminars, with location options for both Eastern and Western Washington. (There are separate Jump Start options for National Board Renewal and Take One!® candidates - see below.)
2. National Board Take One!® Jump Start (Two-day session for Take One!® Candidates):
WEA's Take One!® National Board Jump Start is a 2-day seminar that provides early support to educators participating in the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards' Take One!® process. Take One!® Jump Start was designed from WEA's highly-acclaimed 4-day Jump Start Seminar for full candidates. Each Take One!® event is co-located with the full candidate Jump Start Seminars. (Note: Take One!® Jump Start will take place on Days 2 and 3 of the full candidate events). Take One!® Jump Start is intended to complement yearlong candidate support provided by university and district programs and will be taught by dynamic and fun team of National Board Certified Teacher (NBCT) Jump Start trainers.
3. National Board Renewal Jump Start (One-day Session for Renewal NBCTs):
WEA's National Board Renewal Jump Start is a 1-day training that provides key information to NBCTs who are engaged in the National Board Certification Renewal process. Renewal Jump Start helps candidates consider their growth and experiences since becoming an NBCT and how they relate to the Renewal process. Each Renewal event is co-located with the full candidate Jump Start Seminars. (Note: Renewal Jump Start will take place on Day 3 of the full candidate events).
Q. How do I know which Jump Start to attend?
- If you are a new candidate to the National Board process who has registered for full candidacy (4 Entries and 6 Assessment Center exercises), choose the four-day National Board Jump Start seminar.
- If you are a new candidate to the National Board process who has registered for Take One!® (1 Entry only), choose the two-day National Board Take One!® Jump Start seminar.
- If you are already an NBCT whose 10-year renewal registration is due within the next year or two, choose the one-day National Board Renewal Jump Start seminar.
Q. How much does it cost?
- Jump Start fees are listed below, and include breakfast, lunch, coffee and snacks each day, all training materials, and Clock Hour fees, which are waived for WEA Jump Starts. Part of the registration fee also provides an honorarium to each of the many NBCTs and trainers who contribute their time to make this event a quality experience for candidates. All participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and substitute costs, if applicable.
◊ 4-Day Session for Full National Board Candidacy: $200.00 for WEA members, and $800.00 for non-members*
◊ 2-Day Session for Take One!® Candidates: $100.00 for WEA members, and $400.00 for non-members*
◊ 1-Day Session for Renewal NBCT preparation: $50.00 for WEA members, and $200.00 for non-members*
*Note: All costs are estimated for 2014 and are subject to change without notice.
- If your District or Association is paying a portion of your fee there are payment options in the registration process to accomodate this. However, please verify the exact amount they are covering before you begin the registration process. Some District/Assocation policies have changed for the 2013-2014 year.
Q. Is financial assistance available?
- A limited number of needs-based scholarships are available to WEA member Jump Start candidates for whom registration costs are prohibitive. WEA strives to ensure equal access for all WEA members to attend. If you have a demonstrated need for assistance you may apply for a scholarship by completing the Online Scholarship Application. Please note:
- Scholarship applications for Spokane are now closed.
- Scholarships are intended for those members with a demonstrated financial need who do not have additional support from their schools, districts or associations. All scholarship recipients will still be expected to personally pay some portion of the registration fee.
- If you are applying for financial assistance with your Jump Start fee, please select the "Pay by Check" option when registering for your Jump Start session as we are unable to issue partial refunds to those who have already paid with a credit card.
Clock Hour costs are waived for WEA Jump Start seminars. If you are attending the 4-day full candidate Jump Start you may also purchase up to three Seattle Pacific University credits for an additional cost in lieu of Clock Hours.
Q. Who do I contact with additional questions?
Washington Education Association (WEA) - this is the Washington State Teachers Union to whom you pay your monthly dues if you are a WEA member. We bargain contracts for our members and provide additional services and trainings. As part of our member services we offer several National Board trainings to our WEA members: 1) Jump Starts (full candidate, Take One!® and Renewal) to help you at the beginning of your National Board process to understand the requirements and suggest appropriate approaches to the process, and also in your 10-year renewal process, and 2) Home Stretch toward the end of the year to make sure you have not overlooked details and to give you feedback on your National Board entries. It is to WEA that you pay your Jump Start or Home Stretch seminar fees, and these are separate from the fee you pay to the National Board for Professional Teaching standards to obtain your National Board certification. WEA occasionally offers financial assistance for our seminar fees, but this is not connected in any way with the OSPI National Board conditional loan. We are located in Federal Way and you can learn more about us at www.washingtonea.org or by calling 253-765-7075.
National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) - this is the national organization with whom you register and to whom you pay your National Board fees to begin the process to obtain National Board certification. They are located in Washington, DC and your National Board ID number comes from them. They also offer a "Take One!®" candidacy where candidates begin their process by completing only one of the ten (4 Entry Portfolios and 6 Assessment Center exercises) full candidacy requirements. You can learn more about full candidacy and Take One!® at: www.nbpts.org or by calling 1-800-22-TEACH.
Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) - this is the Washington state office that offers and assigns scholarships to Washington State teachers who apply for the state Conditional Loan to pay their National Board registration fees. OSPI requires that those who are awarded loans connect with a local Cohort Group to help guide them throughout the year-long process toward National Board certification. They are located in Olympia and you can learn more about the state role in National Board certification at www.k12.wa.us or by calling 360-725-6119.
Q. What do I need to register?
You will also need your WEA membership ID if you wish to register at the member price. If you are having difficulty locating your WEA membership card, you may continue to register without it and we will find it for you.
You must read the NBPTS Guidelines for Ethical Candidate Support policy as you will be asked during registration to verify that you have read and will follow the guidelines. Click Here to read the policy.
*Please Note: To run each seminar we require at least 25 registrants. If there are insufficient numbers, we will fully reimburse registrations that have been submitted. Course registration will close if a given event reaches capacity.
WEA National Board Certification
|WEA Online Learning|
|WEA ProTeach® Portfolio Support|
Washington Education Association