Welcome to the WEA National Board Jump Start & Renewal Information Page
Registration for the 2015 summer Jump Start seminars is NOW OPEN!
West Side - Cavelero Mid High School, Lake Stevens
REGISTER: 4-Day National Board Jump Start: July 27 - 30, 2015
REGISTER: 1-Day Renewal Jump Start: July 29, 2015
NO LATER THAN June 5 for Eastside and July 10 for Westside.
Why a National Board Jump Start?
In a conversation with some seasoned NBCT candidate support group facilitators, the following question came up: "If you had the luxury of several days to work with National Board candidates before they started the certification process, what things do you think would be most helpful to them?" We think you'll like their answer. Jump Start seminars are designed to provide National Board candidates with important information about the certification process, time to examine component and Assessment Center requirements, the opportunity to plan how to meet requirements, and time to collaborate, gather resources and information needed to pursue certification - all in a supportive, constructive, and collegial environment.
What is National Board Jump Start?
Jump Start is an intensive seminar geared for teachers pursuing National Board Certification in 2015-16. Jump Start offers the following academies:
Foundations: (Part 1 & 2)
This academy introduces the most important information to help support a candidate through the National Board Certification process. In this Jump Start academy participants engage in the foundational concepts of the National Board. These concepts include the 5 Core Propositions which detail what a teacher should know and be able to do, effective instructional design of the Architecture of Accomplished Teaching, and the National Board Standards in the content area of your certification. Candidates will also use the information about the certification process to plan for a successful candidacy over the next two or three years. “Foundations” is a requirement for first year candidates. The Foundations academy at Jump Start will serve as one of the eligibility requirements for OSPI’s conditional loan.
Component 1: Content Knowledge (evidenced by Assessment Center)
In this Jump Start academy candidates will delve into content knowledge standards, analyze assessment center requirements and do self-reflection to identify personal content gaps. Candidates will also plan to imbed content knowledge into their day-to-day teaching context.
Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction (evidenced by Student Work)
In this Jump Start academy teachers will plan for instruction and assessment using student work as a measure of the effectiveness of their instructional practice and feedback to students. This component is classroom-based and requires differentiation to meet student needs.
Component 2: Working Session
This session will be a continuation of the work begun in the previous academy including graphic organizers, standards analysis and understanding scoring rubrics and writing resources and support. Begin your instructional plan for this component.
Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment (evidenced by Video)
In this Jump Start academy candidates will use the component directions to understand both sections of the component requirements and the accompanying documentation for this work.
Component 3: Working Session
This session continues the work begun in the previous academy including graphic organizers, standards analysis and understanding scoring rubrics and videotaping resources and support. Begin your instructional plan for this component.
National Board Jump Start participants can choose from 1 of 3 options for attendance:
NOTE: We highly recommend Option 1, which is the full, four-day Jump Start for all teachers new to the process. This full, four-day option will front load all information necessary to help a teacher decide their National Board Certification path; decide which components to pursue during each year of candidacy enabling the candidate to dig deeply into the components for this yea, and to preview and pre-think the components that a teacher may choose to take in subsequent years.
OPTION 1: For teachers BRAND NEW to the National Board Process
Attend all four (4) days of Jump Start
*Includes all academies above and time to work with a National Board Certified Teacher in your certificate area on the last day.
Member cost: $200 ($50 per day); Non-member cost: $800 ($200 per day)
OPTION 2: For teachers who need only Component 3 and who have completed Component 1 and 2.
This option requires prior participation in “Foundations” either through Jump Start (summer 2014) or in National Board support cohort.
Attend two (2) days of Jump Start
*Includes C3 and C3 Working academies above and time to work with a National Board Certified Teacher in your certificate area on the last day.
Member cost: $100 ($50 per day); Non-member cost: $400 ($200 per day)
OPTION 3: For teachers who need only Component 3 and who have completed Component 1 and 2 but have not previously participated in “Foundations” neither through Jump Start nor through National Board support cohort.
*Includes Foundations, C3 and C3 Working academies above and time to work with National Board Certified Teacher in your certificate area on the last day.
Member cost: $125 ($50 per day); Non-member cost: $500 ($200 per day)
** Important: Jump Start intensive seminar is designed for teachers intending to pursue National Board Certification. Because we want to focus on providing the best support for serious candidates, we have expectations that all participants will do the following three steps in order to register for National Board Jump Start:
- Determine that you have met the eligibility requirements of National Board
- Choose the certificate area you will pursue
- Register as a candidate with the National Board AND pay the $75 annual registration fee to National Board
- To register go to the NationalBoardWebsite. Once there, click Apply Now and follow the directions on the application.
To get further information regarding the National Board Certification process please go to the Board Certified Teachers website
For information regarding the Washington State National Board conditional loan, please visit the OSPI website
National Board Jump Start WEA member fees are $50 per day, and include breakfast, lunch, beverages and snacks each day, training fees and all training materials. All participants are responsible for their own travel and lodging.
Up to 36 Clock Hours are available for the National Board Jump Starts (Based on in class time, preparation work and homework during seminar); Clock Hour fees are waived for these seminars.
You will have several options for payment below. Our preferred method of payment is via credit card, but you may also select the "Pay by check" option. If selecting this option, please make your check payable to WEA for the appropriate amount (please see the payment scale below) and mail it within one week of your registration to:
Washington Education Association
Attn: Stephanie Mikos
P.O. Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
If you are not a WEA member and register at the member price, you may be asked via subsequent e-mail to move to a waitlist and your ticket cost will be refunded until space opens up for your non-member price attendance.
Please register from your preferred e-mail address and enter the address accurately in the boxes provided. This will help prevent any communication errors or lost emails!
Q. Who should attend?
- Teachers who are registered with the National Board and committed to starting the National Board process or NBCTs whose renewal is pending within a year or two should attend the Jump Start training appropriate to their needs. Priority access for open seminar seats will be given to those candidates who are officially registered with NBPTS. We regret that we will likely only be able to accommodate those who have already completed the three-years-teaching National Board eligibility requirement. We encourage those who will meet the three year requirement by the end of the school year to register for one of our summer events.
Q. How do I know which Jump Start to attend?
- If you are a candidate new to the National Board process who has registered for the 2015-16 cycle, choose the National Board Jump Start seminar.
- If you are already an NBCT whose 10-year renewal registration is due within the next year or two, choose the National Board Renewal Jump Start seminar.
Q. Is financial assistance available?
- Yes, a limited number of scholarships are available to WEA members who have a demonstrated need for financial assistance. Please note that scholarships are intended for WEA members only who do not have additional support from their schools, districts or associations. It is only under very unique circumstances that we will award a scholarship covering the full registration amount; most scholarships are partial grants and recipients will still be expected to personally pay some portion of the registration fee.
Click here to apply for financial aid.
Please either wait for your scholarship determination before registering for the seminar, or select the "Pay by Check" option when registering for your Jump Start session as we are unable to issue partial refunds to those who receive a grant award but have already paid with a credit card.
Q. Is lodging included?
- Unfortunately, no. All participants are responsible for their own travel, lodging, and substitute costs, if applicable.
Q. Are Clock Hours available and how much will they cost?
- Clock Hours are available for the National Board Jump Starts;
- Clock Hours are available for the Renewal Jump Start seminar for NBCTs;
- Clock Hour fees are waived for WEA Jump Start seminars (no fee).
Q. Who do I contact with additional questions?
- Washington Education Association (WEA) - this is the Washington State Teachers Union to whom you pay your monthly dues if you are a WEA member. We bargain contracts for our members and provide additional services and trainings. As part of our member services we offer several National Board trainings to our WEA members: 1) Jump Starts (new candidate and Renewal) to help you at the beginning of your National Board process to understand the requirements and suggest appropriate approaches to the process, and also in your 10-year renewal process, and 2) Home Stretch toward the end of the year to make sure you have not overlooked details and to give you feedback on your National Board entries. It is to WEA that you pay your Jump Start or Home Stretch seminar fees, and these are separate from the fee you pay to the National Board for Professional Teaching standards to obtain your National Board certification. WEA occasionally offers financial assistance for our seminar fees, but this is not connected in any way with the OSPI National Board conditional loan. We are located in Federal Way and you can learn more about us at www.washingtonea.org or by calling 253-765-7076.
- National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) - this is the national organization with whom you register and to whom you pay your National Board fees to begin the process to obtain National Board certification. They are located in Washington, DC and your National Board ID number comes from them. You can learn more about NBPTS at: www.boardcertifiedteachers.org or by calling 1-800-22-TEACH.
- Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) - this is the Washington state office that offers and assigns scholarships to Washington State teachers who apply for the state Conditional Loan to pay their National Board registration fees. OSPI requires that those who are awarded loans connect with a local Cohort Group to help guide them throughout the year-long process toward National Board certification. They are located in Olympia and you can learn more about the state role in National Board certification at www.k12.wa.us or by calling 360-725-6119.
Q. What do I need to register?
- You will need your WEA membership ID if you wish to register at the member price. If you are having difficulty locating your WEA membership card, you may continue to register without it and we will find it for you.
- You will also need your National Board Candidate ID number. Jump Start participants must be registered as candidates with the National Board prior to the start of their Jump Start seminar.
- You must read the NBPTS Guidelines for Ethical Candidate Support policy as you will be asked during registration to verify that you have read and will follow the guidelines. Click Here to read the policy.
*Please Note: To run each seminar we require at least 25 registrants. If there are insufficient numbers, we will fully reimburse registrations that have been submitted. Course registration will close if a given event reaches capacity.
Visit the WEA Professional Development Network website for additional trainings and professional development offerings from your Association
WEA National Board Certification
|WEA Online Learning|
|WEA ProTeach® Portfolio Support|
Washington Education Association