Post date: January 13, 2021
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position of Administrative Assistant III – WEA Children's Fund/Governance. This is a full-time position. A job description is included on the following pages. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- List of three (3) professional references (including names and contact information)
Washington Education Association application forms are required and may be obtained by following the application link at the end of this document or by calling Human Resources at 1-800-622-3393 extension 7002.
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application and list of three references is on or before January 28, 2021 (5:00 PM).
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Karen Knight at the email address or phone number shown below.
Washington Education Association
Attn: Karen Knight, HR Generalist
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
DIRECT: (253) 303-1477
FAX: (253) 946-4726
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
The Washington Education Association is committed to a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace where the contributions of each employee are respected as part of the work performed on behalf of 90,000+ WEA members in public education. WEA embraces employees with varied backgrounds and life experiences, including race, ethnicity, gender, age, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical ability, and veteran status. Only those candidates who can commit to promoting diversity, equity and inclusiveness need apply.
Job description – Administrative Assistant III – WEA Children's Fund/Governance - Full-time (37.5 hours/week)
Supervision: The Children’s Fund/Governance Administrative Assistant III will work within the WEA Governance Center and report to the Confidential Administrative Assistant.
Location: WEA Headquarters located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way So., Federal Way, WA
Administrative support responsibilities and essential functions
- Must possess outstanding customer service - including communication and conflict resolution skills in the context of administrative support
- Ability to answer phone calls and email inquiries on a timely basis
- Must maintain confidentiality in the course of assigned work
- Sustain close monitoring of Children's Fund balances; reconciliation and general accounting work is required ensuring the work associated with the WEA Children’s Fund meets required internal accounting control standards
- Process Children’s Fund member requests in a manner consistent with established processes
- Perform potential donor research and fundraising activities to help ensure there are funds available to meet requests to the extent possible
- Prepare correspondence such as Children’s Fund mailings and notices
- Fulfill information requests for Children's Fund activities and protocol
- Provide assistance at the WEA/RA Children’s Fund booth as needed
- Reconcile cost center accounts
- Process invoices, purchase orders, and coordinate vendor interactions
- Process for signature vendor contracts and tax identification requirements related to vendor payment
- Provide administrative support for governance led committees and work teams
- Maintain governance committee assignments
- Assist with the planning, coordination, and administrative support for WEA Board meetings and Representative Assembly
- Draft correspondence and messages using Microsoft Word
- Ability to use Excel and/or other tracking software
- Schedule meetings, trainings and other events as needed
- Maintain office filing and electronic storage of critical documents in accordance with established retention practices
- Perform consistently accurate data entry
- Order and maintain department supplies
- Develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with diverse groups of people including staff, elected leaders, members, and management
Minimum job requirements
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Two years of administrative or equivalent experience
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm using PC word processing software
- Demonstrated secretarial skills including word processing, filing, proofreading, document retrieval, creating spreadsheets and screening calls
- Ability to generate documents and data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to compose, draft, edit, proof and produce quality professional correspondence
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Background and experience using the Microsoft Office Suite of products, e.g., Word, Outlook, Excel and Publisher
- Recent accounting experience; familiarity with accounting principles/practices and accounting application software, e.g., Quickbooks
- Demonstrated experience with fund-raising (both internal and external) in a non-profit environment
- Familiarity and ability to work with, update and maintain database records
- Ability to process Children’s Fund requests and reimbursements
- Ability to respond quickly and accurately to Children's Fund information requests
- Ability to compose quality correspondence related to Children's Fund activities
- Ability to relate in a positive, diplomatic and patient manner
- Ability to understand the relevance and importance of diversity and inclusion both internally and externally, and the impact that a diverse workforce has on creativity and innovation
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail; ability to prioritize work
- Must support and help advance the WEA mission, goal, core values and priorities
- Ability to work more than 37.5 hours per week if needed
- Other duties as assigned
Attendance, punctuality, a positive attitude and an ability to demonstrate grace under pressure are crucial components in accomplishing the ongoing job functions of this position. Strong interpersonal skills are a must! This position is covered under the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Preferred job requirements
- Experience accessing and using the Internet and electronic communications
- Experience in public education, unions or related employment
- Proven success in building and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships with diverse individuals internally and externally
Salary range and benefits
Annual salary range: Level III (C) - $64,092 to $91,420
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Generous sick and vacation leave (PTO)
- Long-term disability
- Defined Contribution Plan (401(k) w/employer contribution
- Defined Benefit Plan
- Covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including resume, cover letter and a list of three (3) professional references (including contact information) must be submitted to WEA Human Resources on or before January 28, 2021 (5:00 PM). Please use the online application process to apply.
Important note: When submitting your application materials online, select ‘Save as Draft’ until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded – i.e., cover letter, resume, application and a list of three (3) professional references (w/contact information). This will ensure your application materials remain together as a single submission.