Associate Staff/Field Assistant III - Kent
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position listed above. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- List of three professional references (w/contact information)
A Washington Education Association application form is required and attached as a link at the end of this document. In addition, applications may also be obtained by emailing Manny Bosser, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
The preferred method for delivery of your application materials is online by following the link at the end of the job description. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Manny Bosser at the email address above or by mail at the address noted below.
Washington Education Association
Manny Bosser, Director of Human Resources
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, resumé, signed application and written references is on or before August 5, 2020.
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Supervision: The job is performed under the supervision of, and reports directly to, the WEA Advocacy and Organizing Manager.
Purpose: The primary purpose is to provide general administrative and clerical accounting support for the WEA Kent Education Association while actively engaged in organizing WEA members in the field.
Location and demographics:
The Kent UniServ Council is more commonly known as the Kent Education Association which is the sole local represented in this Council. With 1,880 members in an all certificated local, the Kent Education Association has at least 200 new potential members every fall. The students in the Kent School District represent over 100 cultures and languages and the Kent Education Association is working to support the retention and recruitment of more educators of color to the area through active organizing and advocacy. Over half of the students in the Kent School District identify as students of color in 42 schools in portions of at least five cities in South King County, which includes four comprehensive high schools.
Additionally, approximately 17% of the members of Kent Education Association identify as educators of color and these educators, alongside white allies, are working diligently to have their voice heard for educators of color and students of color. The region represented stretches from Interstate 5 on the West to Black Diamond in the East. Every school in the region brings the unique qualities of the community in which it resides making for a complex set of opportunities and challenges.
Job summary and essential job functions: The Field Assistant Level III maintains and ensures the complete and systematic processing of the KEA’s accounting records, regulatory requirements, membership records and expenditures reportable to the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC), while supporting WEA Headquarters accounting and membership needs. The Assistant provides support for member organizing by assisting members, staff and outside agents through problem-solving, researching questions, and providing information and materials. The Field Asst. III provides administrative and clerical support for the Council and assists with field organizing plans and activities that build power for the Local, Council and the WEA.
Essential job functions
Accounting and regulatory
- Prepare for signature by officer(s) cash disbursement checks based upon approved supporting documentation
- Prepare financial reports, bank reconciliations, and deposits as required
- Maintain general ledger, equipment inventory, lease agreements and building/equipment insurance coverage
- Coordinate and prepare documents for annual audit, regulatory and tax filings and other reports as needed
- Assist the Council President and Treasurer in the preparation, monitoring, reporting and presenting of Council budgets
- Track and assist with reporting of various grants.
- Assist in the tracking, reporting and filing of expenditures to the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC)
- Supports WEA Headquarters accounting needs
- In coordination with the Chief Financial Officer, provide guidance to the Council regarding regulatory requirements, tax filings and general budgeting
- Collect, record and maintain information pertaining to membership dues, dues status, and demographic data; provide reports when necessary
- Research, gather and provide information to and with various entities, i.e. locals, healthcare providers, Aon, WEA Headquarters, etc., for the timely and accurate processing of membership data and dues
- Communicate with district payroll officers, WEA Membership Department, and others as needed
- Prepares monthly billing of membership for District payroll and processes the dues
- Manage office workflow and provide lead direction to other associate staff
- Maintain office files and computer databases
- Produce various correspondence and communications pieces
- Assist with communication to leaders and members
- Receive and assist visitors, direct and answer telephone calls and in-person requests
- Schedule travel and meeting activities
- Participate in field organizing activities which may entail organizing large scale events.
- Provide administrative support to staff and KEA leaders.
- Other duties as assigned
WEA believes each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the Washington Education Association. This job description is designed to outline primary duties and qualifications, but not limit the employee or the WEA to just the work identified. It is our expectation that every employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of achieving the WEA mission, goals and priorities.
- Coordinate and support professional development offerings through the WEA Network, in-house, and outside entities
- Coordinate and maintain records as a clock hour provider in accordance with state guidelines
- Assist with grant writing providing budgetary and other financial information
- Assist with leave reporting as needed
- May record minutes at meetings
- Update building lists and communication database (Constant Contact)
- Coordinates building facilities
- Support and participate in Council and Local organizing efforts as needed
- Some travel and evening meetings required
- Serve as Notary Public for members
- Assist WEA Retired – Kent Chapter with meetings/organizing
- Serve as Tech lead for Council office – communicate and coordinate with Technology Contact at WEA
- Purchase office supplies and equipment
Attendance and punctuality are crucial in accomplishing the ongoing job functions of this position. This position is not exempt from overtime and is covered under the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum job requirements
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years administrative or equivalent experience
- Experience in bookkeeping, accounting or administrative assignments involving advanced record keeping and knowledge of accounting practices and accepted accounting procedures
- Competence with computerized accounting software (QuickBooks, Quicken, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Professional with emphasis on Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm using word-processing software
- Thorough knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation and the ability to compose and edit/proof documents
- Experience maintaining a large database and ability to enter data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience in dealing with members/customers. Must support and maintain relations with outside agencies and organizations for the purposes of ongoing communications
- Ability to work well with others and, under pressure, demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to understand the relevance and importance of diversity and inclusion both internally and externally, and the impact that a diverse workforce has on creativity and innovation
- Self-starter. Demonstrate initiative regarding assignments and be flexible with changing priorities. Must be well organized, possess the ability to pay attention to detail and prioritize and coordinate office workloads
- Ability to keep client information confidential
- Must support and help advance the WEA mission, goal and core values
Preferred job requirements
- Experience in public education, unions or related employment
- 10-key by touch
- Experience in the use of Web content editing software and the ability to maintain a website
- Experience with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Experience with desktop publishing software
- Experience with organizing people and actions
Salary range and benefits
Level III – $64,092 to $91,420 (effective September 1, 2020).
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Generous sick and vacation leaves (PTO)
- Long-term disability
- Defined Benefit Plan and Defined Contribution Plan (w/employer contribution)
- Position covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including résumé, cover letter and a list of three (3) professional references. Application materials must be submitted to WEA Human Resources on or before August 5, 2020. We strongly encourage applicants to use the online application process.
Important note: When submitting your application materials online, select "Save as Draft" until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded - i.e., cover letter, resume and list of three professional references. This will ensure your application materials remain together as a single submission.