Field Assistant II – Lake Washington UniServ Council
Post Date: October 8, 2019
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the Field Assistant II position. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- List of three (3) professional references (w/contact information and relationship)
A completed Washington Education Association application form is required and attached as a link at the end of this document. In addition, applications may also be obtained at the Washington Education Association located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way South, Federal Way, WA 98001, or by calling Human Resources at 253-765-7002 or 1-800-622-3393 extension 7002.
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application and list of references is on or before Friday, October 22, 2019.
Please submit your application materials online by following the link at the end of the job description. If you have questions or require assistance, contact Karen Knight at the email address or phone number shown below.
Washington Education Association
Attn: Karen Knight, Human Resource Generalist / Human Resources
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
FAX (253) 946-4726
PHONE (253) 765-7002
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Field Assistant II – Lake Washington UniServ Council – Kirkland, WA
Location & Demographics: The Lake Washington UniServ Council is located at 10604 NE 38th Pl NE – Ste. #212 – in Kirkland, WA. With over 2,000 members - comprised of teachers, counselors, library media specialists, school psychologists, SLPs, OTs, PTs and other Support Specialists - the LWEA takes great pride in serving the needs of its members. LWEA tirelessly strives to advocate for members’ legal, professional, contractual and human rights, promote members’ professional growth, foster increased community support for and involvement in public education, and provide timely and transparent communication among all members and leaders.
Job summary and essential job functions
The Field Assistant serves as a receptionist and primarily performs clerical duties in support of council activities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Greet visitors and direct phone calls
- Assist with coordinating meetings/trainings; first point of contact for questions
- Format/produce training email blasts and manage events
- Accurately/efficiently enter and audit monthly membership records
- Produce reports and materials from computer records and documents
- Compile and maintain various databases and working files
- Maintain all association bargaining contracts – electronic and paper versions
- Maintain and regularly update Council web page
- Assist members and staff with problems; research questions and provide information and materials when necessary
- Assist with maintaining office equipment
- Attend Council events and meetings when necessary
- Maintain the main office master calendar and other Outlook calendars
- Assist with setup/cleanup of rooms for meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Attendance, punctuality, a positive attitude and an ability to demonstrate grace under pressure are crucial in accomplishing the ongoing job functions of this position. Strong interpersonal skills are a must! This position is covered under the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum job requirements
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Two years secretarial or equivalent experience
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm using PC word processing software
- Proficient at PC compatible programs, i.e., Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and Publisher
- Experience with database software
- Proficient with web page and desktop publishing software
- Demonstrated secretarial skills including word processing, filing, proofreading, document retrieval, creating spreadsheets and screening calls
- Ability to generate documents and data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to compose, draft, edit, proof and produce quality professional correspondence
- Ability to learn membership data system (NEA360) requiring strong familiarity with database systems used to track detailed information; ability to generate database reports based on user requests; ability to understand how data is used in the decision-making process
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience in dealing with members
- Proven success in building and maintaining cooperative and productive relationships with diverse individuals internally and externally
- Self-starter with demonstrated initiative and flexibility with changing priorities
- Well-organized with attention to detail; ability to effectively prioritize work
- Pleasant, clear telephone voice and ability to enunciate and pronounce words clearly to be understood over the phone
- Ability to keep client information confidential
- Ability to confront and resolve conflict constructively
- Ability to relate in a positive, diplomatic and patient manner
- Ability to understand the relevance and importance of diversity and inclusion both internally and externally, and the impact that a diverse workforce has on creativity and innovation
- Must support and help advance the WEA mission, goal, core values and priorities
Preferred job requirements
- Experience with meeting, conference and/or event planning
- Experience with mail merge
- Experience with accessing and use of the Internet and electronic communications
- Experience in public education, unions or related employment
Salary range and benefits
Monthly salary range: Level II (B) – $3,714 to $5,495
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance
- Generous Sick and Paid Time Off (PTO) leaves
- Long-term Disability
- Defined Benefit Plan
- Defined Contribution Plan (w/employer contribution)
- Position covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including résumé, cover letter and three (3) professional letters of reference from associates who have professional knowledge of the applicant’s background and work experience, must be received on or before October 22, 2019. Use of the online application process is encouraged.
Important Note: When submitting your application materials online, select “Save as Draft” until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded – i.e., cover letter, resume and a list of three professional references (w/contact information and relationship). This will ensure your application materials remain together as a single submission. Please submit your application materials online by following the link below.