IT Data Analyst/Project Lead - Level 5
July 30, 2019The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position listed above. A job description is included on the following pages. This position is available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Letter of Interest/Cover Letter
- A current résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- A signed WEA application form
- The list of three (3) professional references (including names and contact information)
Washington Education Association application forms are required. Submitting your application and related materials online is preferred. However, applications may be obtained by contacting Karen Knight at email@example.com, or at the Washington Education Association located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way South, Federal Way, WA 98001.
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application and list of three (3) references is on or before August 13, 2019.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Karen Knight at the email address or phone number shown below.
Washington Education Association
Attn: Karen Knight, Human Resource Generalist
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
FAX: (253) 946-4726
PHONE: (253) 765-7002 (direct)
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Job description - IT Data Analyst/Project Lead - Level 5 - Federal Way, WA
Purpose: This position is responsible for a wide range of responsibilities related to WEA data analyses and information technology projects. This is a professional level position exempt from overtime and a member of the Washington Education Association Staff Organization bargaining unit.
Supervision: This technical position reports to the Director of Human Resources, Information Technology and Facilities.
Data Analyst responsibilities
The Data Analyst will assist the IT Department and the organization in the use of data to analyze WEA operations, including assisting the organization in making critical business decisions using business intelligence tools and resources. Focus will include web-oriented data and utilize methods for analyzing data in order to create dashboards, reports, and recommended solutions. The Data Analyst will work with membership, union organizing information and other data sets to anticipate trends and organizational challenges.
The Data Analyst will help WEA identify and use typical sources of institutional knowledge, including Customer Relationship Management (CRM) applications, inventory management systems, transaction data, social media, survey and/or marketing sources, and associated systems. The Data Analyst will work within adopted technical and software systems to create solutions to data needs and provide problem resolution.
The Data Analyst will compare and contrast structured and unstructured data in order to summarize how data can help support business decisions. As the WEA moves to cloud-based solutions, the Data Analyst will work with cloud-based data, migrating data to or from the cloud - assuring that backup procedures are fully functional, identifying and resolving security issues, and providing user training.
The Data Analyst will assist the organization in determining relationships between organizational efforts and business outcomes by extrapolating information using data obtained from new and traditional data sources, and providing ways/methods to analyze and represent data.
In conjunction with other IT Staff, the Data Analyst will help compile data from a variety of sources and prepare and deliver objective and unbiased presentations within the department and other WEA centers, and in front of the WEA Board of Directors and staff.
The Data Analyst will provide budget recommendations as needed to support the identified goals and objectives of the WEA and the Information Technology Department.
Additional Data Analyst responsibilities include:
- Working with data sources
- Working with WEA departments to integrate data
- Working with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
- Providing CRM integration
- Obtaining and using data from E-Mail and user forums
- Obtaining data from internal and external sources
- Utilizing transaction, payment and inventory data as needed
- Capturing and analyzing data
- Capturing data using Tableau Public, Google fusion tables, OpenRefine, and/or other tools
- Assessing, exploring software for data capture, including adopted software platforms
- Other duties as assigned
IT Project Lead responsibilities
Provide outstanding customer service related to IT services in the organization - between WEA departments, WEA and Councils, and other affiliated relationships.
In addition to the responsibilities noted above, the IT Project Lead will organize the activities associated with adopted IT projects and assignments. The Project Lead will oversee IT projects including:
- identification of objectives from a customer and organizational perspective
- management of project scope
- development of deliverables
- project metrics
- design/redesign modifications
- training and rollout
- assuring end user satisfaction
- may develop and coordinate training programs to educate end users on the various IT systems and major business applications.
Position will include assisting other IT staff with IT-related assignments - including help desk related functions as needed.
At the direction of the IT Director, the IT Project Lead will coordinate and assign tasks within the IT department to ensure the timely completion of IT projects.
Assess current organization-wide IT needs by soliciting relevant information from end users to assure that the IT department is managing expectations and meeting customer service needs.
Make written and/or verbal recommendations regarding information technology projects, budget development, and IT training and development needs. Train and advise customers (staff and governance) in the operation of WEA technology-related equipment and software.
Analyze and document current process and workflow to determine IT tactics and strategies.
As needed, create and maintain user accounts on computer networks (NEA and WEA) and communications services such as WEA Exchange Email.
Communicate status of high priority IT projects in a manner that non-technical end users understand.
In conjunction with other IT Staff, coordinate the review process for planned changes to the production systems.
Act as the advocate for user requirements by reaching out to the user community with a focus on continuous improvement within the established IT budget.
Track and evaluate problem history to determine whether there are root causes that require permanent solutions.
Help determine and ensure that prioritization of IT projects is in line with organizational expectations.
May be a participant on WEA established committees, workgroups and taskforces.
May be involved in building-related systems including A/V, telephony, as well as systems related to fire and/or other security/alarm systems.
Perform and complete other related duties as requested by management.
Minimum requirements and essential functions
- Bachelor of Science in IT Management, Information Systems Management, Computer Science, Network Engineering, or pursuing such or similar degree with a goal of successful completion within three (3) years
- IT project management certification and/or two (2) years of project management experience
- Three (3) years’ experience working with data, membership systems, data presentations
- Experience handling help desk related activities and problem resolution
- At least one IT professional certification (e.g., CCNA, ITIL v3 Expert, MCITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, RHCE) or the ability to obtain such certification within 3 months of starting position
- Must be Microsoft 365 Certified/Modern Desktop Administrator Associate, or obtain such certification within 3 months of starting the position
- Experience working with Tableau, Laser Fiche, CRMs required. Must have intermediate to expert level skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and Access; must have experience working in SQL and experience supporting web content management system issues
- Required and/or preferred data certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Project+, Oracle Database SQL, CIW Data Analyst and Site Development
- Possess analytical skills in identifying and assessing root causes of problems and proposing recommendations related to solutions
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills with a proven history of working well with diverse groups of people, including co-workers/peers, and customers; must be able to develop and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, management, governance, members and leaders; strong skills in repairing working relationships with others in the context of technology work
- Possess excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Must be a team player, where support for accomplishing WEA goals and objectives is the top priority rather than individual accomplishments
- Ability to develop a project plan and execute the plan according to committed schedules
- Ability to work independently as required and the initiative to recommend changes to improve IT services
- Willingness and the ability to travel within the state on an occasional basis and overnight if required
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs. on a consistent basis; the ability to bend, crawl, or move items to resolve computer or telephone system issues
- Ability to obtain a valid Washington State driver's license, possess a satisfactory driving record, and have a dependable automobile for Association travel; proof of automobile insurance with liability limits of at least $100,000/$300,000 required
- Willingness to work extended hours when necessary or as determined by WEA management
- Travel may be required, primarily within the State of Washington, to assist or address issues in our UniServ Council offices and/or Local Association settings
Salary and benefits
The Washington Education Association offers a highly competitive salary and benefit package which includes:
Annual salary range: Level 5 - $106,120 to $151,368 per year
- Fully paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Generous paid time off provisions (PTO)
- Long-Term Disability plan
- Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution retirement plans
- Covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form - including resume, cover letter and a list of three professional references who have professional knowledge of your background and work experience - must be submitted to WEA Human Resources on or before August 13, 2019. Reference contact information must include name, email addresses, phone number(s), and relationship to you.
Important note: When submitting your application materials online, select Save as Draft until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded - i.e., cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references. This will ensure your applicaiton materials remain together as a single submission.