Post date: April 28, 2020
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position of Political Accounting Asst. IV. A job description is included on the following pages. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- List of three (3) references
A Washington Education Association application form is required and attached as a link at the end of this document. In addition, applications may also be obtained at the Washington Education Association located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way South, Federal Way, WA 98001 or by calling Human Resources at 253-765-7002 or 1-800-622-3393 extension 7002.
The preferred method for delivery of your application materials is online by following the link at the end of the job description.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Karen Knight at the email address or phone number shown below.
Washington Education Association
Karen Knight, Human Resource Generalist
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
FAX (253) 946-4726
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application and list of references is on or before May 12, 2020.
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Summary job description
Position announcement: Political Accounting Assistant IV
Supervision: The successful incumbent will function as a member of the Accounting team of the Washington Education Association. The Political Accounting Assistant IV shall report to the CFO and shall be based in the Federal Way office.
Purpose: The primary purpose of the job is to provide assistance in assuring accurate and timely WEA-PAC reporting and accounting, and to provide primary responsibility for accurate and timely Public Disclosure Commission (PDC) reporting for the WEA. In addition, the Political Accounting Assistant IV will provide primary administrative support for the maintenance of records in program databases.
- Provide accounting support for WEA-PAC and the NEA Fund for Children and Public Education, including maintenance of bank accounts, ledgers, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budget and budget reports, and the preparation of schedules for annual audits
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Provide support for monitoring membership records, events and expenditures for the preparation of WEA-PAC’s reports to the Public Disclosure Commission
- Provide assistance in preparing for the annual WEA-PAC audit
- Provide primary administrative support for the maintenance of records in our databases by maintaining close contact with other departments and agencies and by providing individualized reports as requested by users
- Provide primary support for the preparation of WEA’s reports to the Public Disclosure Commission
- Support payables, payroll, cash receipt, journal voucher processing, and year-end audit support
- Support Children’s Fund accounting operations
- Complete other duties as assigned
Minimum job requirements
- High School graduate or GED equivalent
- Two years full charge bookkeeping experience (or comparable experience)
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Two years experience with computerized accounting and budgeting systems (such as Peachtree or QuickBooks)
- Demonstrated experience maintaining large database systems
- Ability to compile and analyze information from a variety of sources to prepare reports
- Ability to work independently and apply detailed organizational or specialized program knowledge
- Demonstrated ability with various software programs to create, process, and maintain a variety of documents and administrative records containing technical information and complex formatting
- Demonstrated experience with financial record keeping - including: monitoring budgets, preparing and processing reports, financial transactions, and schedules for annual audit
- Demonstrated experience with office support functions including word processing, filing, composing a variety of business documents, gathering and compiling data
- Demonstrated proficient and accurate use of PC compatible programs and spreadsheets, with particular emphasis on Excel and Word
- Demonstrated experience using spreadsheet software and database software ensuring the uniformity of data
- The ability to balance and coordinate workload for multiple projects with conflicting and competing deadlines
- Ability to keyboard and enter data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to use 10-key with speed and accuracy
- Ability to work well with other staff, departments, and outside organizations and under pressure
- Ability to keep client information confidential
- Demonstrate initiative regarding assignments and flexibility with changing priorities; must be well organized and detail-oriented
- Must support and advance the WEA mission, goal and core values
Preferred job requirements
- BA degree in accounting
- Experience with electronic mail and accessing the Internet
- Experience with Political Action Committees
- Knowledge of Public Disclosure Commission reporting requirements
Salary and benefits
Minimum monthly salary:
Level 4 - $6,125
- Full family medical, dental and vision coverage
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability
- Defined Benefit retirement plan
- 401(k) Defined Contribution plan (w/employer contribution)
- Covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including résumé, cover letter and a list of three (3) professional references must be received on or before May 12, 2020. Use of the online application process is encouraged.
(Applicants must provide a list of the names of three (3) references that have professional knowledge of the applicant’s background and work experience. Reference information must include current email addresses, contact names and telephone numbers.)