Post Date: March 7, 2019
Field Assistant III – WEA Eastern UniServ Council – Spokane, WA
The Washington Education Association is seeking applicants for the position listed above. A job description is included on the following pages. This position is currently available to internal and external applicants.
To be considered for this position the following documents are required:
- Cover letter
- Updated résumé reflecting qualifications for this position
- Signed WEA application form
- List of three professional references (w/contact information)
A Washington Education Association application form is required and attached as a link at the end of this document. In addition, applications may also be obtained at the Washington Education Association located at 32032 Weyerhaeuser Way South, Federal Way, WA 98001 or by calling Human Resources at 253-765-7002 or 1-800-622-3393 extension 7002.
The preferred method for delivery of your application materials is online by following the link at the end of the job description. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Karen Knight at the email address or phone number shown below.
Washington Education Association
Karen Knight, Human Resource Generalist
PO Box 9100
Federal Way, WA 98063-9100
FAX (253) 946-4726
The deadline for receipt of cover letter, résumé, signed application and written references is on or before March 21, 2019.
The Washington Education Association is an equal employment opportunity employer. It is the desire of the Washington Education Association to interview applicants from an applicant/interview pool that reflects the diversity of the greater community for each vacancy as it occurs.
Job description – Field Assistant III
Supervision: The job is performed under the supervision of, and reports directly to, the WEA Executive Director.
Purpose: The primary purpose is to provide general administrative and clerical accounting support for the WEA Eastern UniServ Council office while actively engaged in organizing WEA members in the field.
Location and demographics: The WEA Eastern UniServ Council is located at 230 E Montgomery Ave. in Spokane, Washington. The Council is one of 21 councils in the state and serves approximately 4700 public school employees working in the largest geographic region of the state. The Council includes eight counties which border Canada to the north and Idaho to the east, as well as counties south and west of Spokane towards Pullman and Grand Coulee.
Council description: WEA Eastern employs three full-time UniServ Representatives and two Associate Staff. The Council has a full-time release Council President who works with elected leaders within the region. The Council represents 59 affiliated local associations and 11 at-large locals.
Job summary and essential job functions: The Field Assistant Level III maintains and ensures the complete and systematic processing of the WEA Eastern UniServ Council’s accounting records, regulatory requirements, membership records and expenditures reportable to the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC), while supporting WEA Headquarters accounting and membership needs. The Assistant provides support for member organizing by assisting members, staff and outside agents through problem-solving, researching questions, and providing information and materials. The Field Asst. III provides administrative and clerical support for the Council and assists with field organizing plans and activities that build power for the Local, Council and the WEA.
Essential job functions
Accounting and regulatory
- Prepare for signature by officer(s) cash disbursement checks based upon approved supporting documentation
- Prepare financial reports, bank reconciliations, and deposits as required
- Maintain general ledger, equipment inventory, lease agreements and building/equipment insurance coverage
- Coordinate and prepare documents for annual audit, regulatory and tax filings and other reports as needed
- Assist the Council President and Treasurer in the preparation, monitoring, reporting and presenting of Council budgets
- Assist local leaders with budgeting, dues collection and regulatory reporting requirements
- Assist in the tracking, reporting and filing of expenditures to the Public Disclosure Commission (PDC)
- Supports WEA Headquarters accounting needs
- In coordination with the Chief Financial Officer, provide guidance to the WEA Eastern UniServ Council regarding regulatory requirements, tax filings and general budgeting
- Collect, record and maintain information pertaining to membership dues, dues status, and demographic data; provide reports when necessary
- Research, gather and provide information to and with various entities, i.e. locals, healthcare providers, Aon, WEA Headquarters, etc., for the timely and accurate processing of membership data and dues
- Communicate with district payroll officers, WEA Membership Department, and others as needed
- Prepares monthly billing of membership for District payroll and processes the dues
- Manage office workflow and provide lead direction to other associate staff
- Maintain office files and computer databases
- Produce various correspondence and communications pieces
- Assist with communication to local associations and members
- Receive and assist visitors, direct and answer telephone calls and in-person requests
- Schedule travel and meeting activities
- Participate in field organizing activities which may entail organizing large scale events
- Assist local presidents by providing administrative support
- Other duties as assigned
WEA believes each employee makes a significant contribution to the success of the Washington Education Association. This job description is designed to outline primary duties and qualifications, but not limit the employee or the WEA to just the work identified. It is our expectation that every employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of achieving the WEA mission, goals and priorities.
- Assist with leave reporting as needed
- May record minutes at meetings
- Coordinates building facilities
- Coordinates Local Association Treasurer training
- Support and participate in Council and Local organizing efforts as needed
- Some travel and evening meetings required
Attendance and punctuality are crucial in accomplishing the ongoing job functions of this position. This position is not exempt from overtime and is covered under the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Minimum job requirements
- High school graduate or GED equivalent
- Minimum of two (2) years administrative or equivalent experience
- Experience in bookkeeping, accounting or administrative assignments involving advanced record keeping and knowledge of accounting practices and accepted accounting procedures
- Competence with computerized accounting software (QuickBooks, Quicken, etc.)
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Professional with emphasis on Word, Excel and Outlook
- Ability to type a minimum of 50 wpm using word-processing software
- Thorough knowledge of office practices, procedures and equipment
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation and the ability to compose and edit/proof documents
- Experience maintaining a large database and ability to enter data quickly with a high degree of accuracy
- Strong interpersonal skills, including experience in dealing with members/customers. Must support and maintain relations with outside agencies and organizations for the purposes of ongoing communications
- Ability to work well with others and, under pressure, demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy
- Ability to understand the relevance and importance of diversity and inclusion both internally and externally, and the impact that a diverse workforce has on creativity and innovation
- Self-starter. Demonstrate initiative regarding assignments and be flexible with changing priorities. Must be well organized, possess the ability to pay attention to detail and prioritize and coordinate office workloads
- Ability to keep client information confidential
- Must support and help advance the WEA mission, goal and core values
Preferred job requirements
- Experience in public education, unions or related employment
- 10-key by touch
- Experience in the use of Web content editing software and the ability to maintain a website
- Experience with Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) systems
- Experience with desktop publishing software
- Experience with organizing people and actions
Salary range and benefits
Level III (C) – $60,413 - $86,173 / YR.
- Employer-paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance
- Generous sick and vacation leaves (PTO)
- Long-term disability
- Defined Benefit Plan and Defined Contribution Plan (w/employer contribution)
- Position covered by the WEA/WEASO Collective Bargaining Agreement
Application procedure and references
In order to be considered for this position, a completed and signed WEA application form including résumé, cover letter and a list of three (3) professional references (including contact information) must be received. Application materials must be submitted to WEA Human Resources on or before March 21, 2019. We strongly encourage applicants to use the online application process.
Important note: When submitting your application materials online, select "Save as Draft" until you have all materials together and ready to be attached and uploaded - i.e., cover letter, resume and list of three professional references. This will ensure your application materials remain together as a single submission.