WEA Unity Agenda for 2018
WEA Unity Agenda
As union members and educators, WEA members are united in our advocacy for our students, our public schools and our profession.
Here is our WEA Unity Agenda for the 2018 legislative session:
- United for higher education employees
- Provide full and equal collective bargaining rights for community and technical college faculty
- United for K-12 classified and certificated employees
- Fix the flawed 2017 education funding plan, including raising the levy lid, improving the staff funding formula and passing a school construction budget
- United for aspiring educators
- Approve student loan forgiveness
- United for retired educators
- Restore cost-of-living adjustments (COLAs) for Plan 1 retirees, increase health care subsidy for all
- United for our students
- Support the right of all students to a quality public education, regardless of family background or immigration status, including safe schools legislation and protecting financial aid for undocumented students
The Washington Education Association is the state’s oldest and largest union. Established in 1889, we now have nearly 95,000 members representing all aspects of public education. We are K-12 certificated educators, classified education support professionals, two- and four-year higher education faculty members, future educators and retired school employees.
We are committed to fulfilling our state’s paramount duty. The Washington Constitution is clear:
"Every student has the right to an amply funded quality public education, regardless of “race, color, caste or sex.”
Here is a weekly calendar of House and Senate committee meetings.