Protecting the health and wellness of students, educators, and families remains our top priority.
Washington Schools Reopening & Coronavirus
Since the beginning of the pandemic, WEA and your local have been committed to fighting for these four things:
- Protecting your health and well-being, and that of your families, students and our communities;
- Taking meaningful action to connect with students who were hard to reach with last year's distance learning, especially students of color, low-income populations, immigrants and English learners, special education, homeless students and foster youth;
- Putting racial equity and social justice at the center of all policy and budget decisions that affect our students and public schools, and
- Ensuring our schools are fully funded and staffed to meet students' needs. No matter what school looks like this fall, we know we need more nurses, custodians, instructional assistants, social workers and mental health professionals — and they must have the resources they need to support our students.
OSPI is tracking school reopening plans by district, and you can find the most current information here.
"As we prepare for the upcoming year, we need to keep our children and their families at the forefront of our plans. We need to develop clear expectations that are consistent across the state. What is required and what is not? How can we make accountability equitable? Our school year will be different; however, our passion and commitment remains the same."
— Jessica Bairey, Central Kitsap elementary teacher
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- Washington State COVID-19 Information Website
- Washington State Department of Health (DOH)
- National Education Association: Educating Through Crisis COVID-19
- Washington Professional Educator Standards Board (PESB)
- Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA)
- Washington Employment Security Department
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- The Stand: Working People Standing Together in Washington state
- NEA Member Benefits