Gathering educators from across the country
NEA’s 2019 Annual Meeting will be held July 4-7 at the George W. Brown Convention Center. Updated information will be posted, as it becomes available, to the NEA website, the WEA website, and the WE Are WEA mobile app, so check the sites often. Watch your email for more information.
Official Delegate Election Forms and Due Date
In January 2019, local presidents received critical delegate allocation election and reporting information from RASupport@nea.org. These emails were titled "NEA RA Delegate Allocation Notification" and "NEA RA Allocation Information." The number of delegates for your association will be listed at the top portion of the “NEA RA Allocation Information” email. The Delegate Election Report Form and other information can be found at http://www.nea.org/delegaterequirements.
Official election forms due to WEA by April 10, attention Christina Martinez.
Do not mail to NEA. Mailing address is Washington Education Association, PO Box 9100, Federal Way, WA 98063-9100. Email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Plan your travel to arrive Tuesday, July 2, and depart Monday, July 8. Two airports service Houston: Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) and William P. Hobby Airport (HOU).
State Delegates: WEA will pay roundtrip transportation expenses up to $650 for State Delegates to attend the NEA Convention. First class airline tickets are out-of-policy for WEA travel. State Delegates purchasing their own airline tickets are encouraged to shop for airfares priced at no more than $650 and must attach the original purchase receipt to the WEA governance voucher. Reimbursements will be limited to $650.
State Delegates may use the WEA travel site Egencia.com if they have a profile. Contact Jill Dahlen or Sharon Closson, WEA Meeting Planners, for assistance -- email Jill at email@example.com or call 253-765-7088; email Sharon at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 509-324-2162.
Attending pre-conference in Houston? WEA does not provide funding to attend pre-conferences; however, State Delegates may include travel dates as part of their roundtrip airline reservation. Before making your travel and hotel reservations, confirm if funding is available from your local and council.
Driving to Houston? State Delegates may voucher mileage reimbursement at $.58 per mile up to $650.
Washington's delegation will be staying at Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel, 1600 Lamar, Houston, Texas 77010. The nightly rate for a single is $180 + 17% tax; double room is $200 + 17% tax. This hotel is a non-smoking property.
Hotel reservations open Wednesday, May 1, at 8 a.m. and close Friday, May 31, at midnight. Online reservation link and phone number will be posted on this page prior to May 1st.
State Delegates: Hotel reservations will be made for you and is based on double occupancy. Complete the online State Delegate Lodging Form by May 21. Delegates requesting a single room will be responsible to pay half room and tax when checking into the hotel.
Local Delegates: Coordinate with your local association before making your hotel reservation.
Helpful links and dates
- Washington Caucus meetings, New Delegate Training, and Welcome Reception will be held at the Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel.
- Our hotel does not provide complimentary airport shuttle service. Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) is about 30 minutes from our hotel, William P. Hobby Airport (HOU) is about 15 minutes.
- Tuesday, July 2 – Welcome Reception at Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel 8-10 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 3 – 8 a.m. New Delegate Orientation, caucus meeting 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel, followed by registration at convention center.
- Thursday-Sunday, July 4, 5, 6, 7 – caucus meetings daily 7-9 a.m. at Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel.
- Group Dress Days: Thursday, July 4 – Red, White, and Blue Day; Friday, July 5 – Favorite Team Gear Day; Sunday, July 7 – Red for Ed Day, unless NEA designates another day
- NEA Annual Meeting Agenda
- Monday-Tuesday, July 1-2 – Conference on Racial and Social Justice – George B. Brown Convention Center
- Wednesday, July 3 – Human and Civil Rights Awards Dinner – George B. Brown Convention Center
- Saturday, July 6 – NEA GLBT Caucus Robert Birle Memorial Dinner – Hilton Americas-Houston Hotel
- Delegate Resources
Get your red for public ed
Future dates and locations for the NEA Representative Assembly
- 2019 – July 4-7 – Houston
- 2020 – July 2-6 – Atlanta