How the Representative Assembly drives WEA
WEA is a member-driven, democratically governed organization and the annual Representative Assembly (RA) is its chief policy making body. Once a year, local associations select more than 1,000 WEA members to gather for RA.
Local associations attending RA hold an election among their membership to select delegates. Each local is allowed to bring one delegate per 60 members or major fraction thereof.
The annual meeting, which has a look and feel similar to a major political convention, provides a forum where WEA members can collaborate, debate and vote. Individual members and local associations submit New Business Items, New Resolutions or Amendments to Continuing Resolutions, Standing Rules, Bylaws, and WEA Constitution, which, when passed, set the organizational priorities for WEA for the coming year.
RA delegates also elect the WEA President and Vice President every two years and NEA State Board Directors when their varied terms are up.
WEA Constitution and Bylaws
WEA's core governing principles are spelled out in our constitution, bylaws, and continuing resolutions. These key documents are debated and reviewed annually by the Representative Assembly.
Future WEA Representative Assembly dates set
- 2019 – April 25-27 – Spokane Convention Center
- 2020 – April 16-18 – Spokane Convention Center
- 2021 – April 15-17 – Spokane Convention Center
- 2022 – March 31-April 2 – Spokane Convention Center
View past action at WEA RA
- 2018 – View the Tagboard for delegate photos, videos and social media posts.
- 2017 – View the Tagboard for delegate photos, videos and social media posts.
- 2016 – View the Tagboard for delegate photos, videos and social media posts.
- Also, download a zip file with all of the New Business Items, Continuing and New Resolutions, and Amendments to the Standing Rules and Constitution that passed.