Subscribe to our Blog
On June 19 people across the United States will observe, honor and celebrate Juneteenth. Recently, Washington Gov. Jay Inslee officially declared Juneteenth a state holiday. He signed House Bill 1016, making June 19 a paid holiday for state workers beginning in 2022.
"Major General Gordon Granger and 1,800 Union troops landed in Galveston, Texas on June 18, 1865. The next day, June 19, 1865, he issued General Orders, No. 3, declaring that the last remaining enslaved people in the United States were finally free." (https://freedomcenter.org/voice/story-juneteenth/)
Juneteenth (the words June and nineteenth put together) commemorate that day. “From its Galveston, Texas origin in 1865, the observance of June 19th as the African American Emancipation Day has spread across the United States and beyond.
“Today Juneteenth commemorates African American freedom and emphasizes education and achievement. It is a day, a week, and in some areas a month marked with celebrations, guest speakers, picnics and family gatherings. It is a time for reflection and rejoicing. It is a time for assessment, self-improvement and for planning the future. Its growing popularity signifies a level of maturity and dignity in America long over due. In cities across the country, people of all races, nationalities and religions are joining hands to truthfully acknowledge a period in our history that shaped and continues to influence our society today. Sensitized to the conditions and experiences of others, only then can we make significant and lasting improvements in our society.” (Juneteenth World Wide Celebration)
Learn the history of Juneteenth at the above two sites and do additional research on your own before celebrating this important day in U.S. history.
Below is a list of events across our state to help you observe and honor Juneteenth. If there are other events, please email us at WEA@washingtonea.org and we will add it to the list.
June 18 Events:
- June 18 (10 AM) – The Unspoken Truths – MOHAI – Museum of History & Industry, Seattle, WA. The Unspoken Truths - MOHAI | Kids Out and About Seattle
- June 18 (6:30 PM) – Juneteenth celebration: Drive Thru Event and Online Presentation – Lynwood, WA. Juneteenth Celebration: Drive Thru Event and Online Presentation – City of Lynnwood (lynnwoodwa.gov)
June 19 Events:
- June 19 (10:30 AM) – Juneteenth 2021 Virtual Celebration – Vancouver, WA. Juneteenth 2021 (facebook.com)
- June 19 (10 AM) – Program Kit: Juneteenth Craft – Tacoma Public Libraries, Tacoma, WA. Program Kit: Juneteenth Craft | Events | Tacoma Public Library (bibliocommons.com)
- June 19 (6:19 PM) – LegallyBLACK Presents: Juneteenth Royal Masquerade – Washington State History Museum, Tacoma, WA. LegallyBLACK Presents: Juneteenth Royal Masquerade Tickets, Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 6:19 PM | Eventbrite
- June 19 (10 AM) – No Healing, No Peace. A Walking Meditation for Black Liberation – Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park, Seattle, WA. www.weouthereseattle.com/2021-calendar/niles-edge-presents-morning-meditation/2021/6/19/niles-edge-presents-morning-meditation
- June 19 (11 AM) – It Takes a Village Juneteenth Festival – Othello Park, Seattle, WA. It Takes a Village — Juneteenth Festival — We Out Here 2021 (weouthereseattle.com)
- June 19 (2 PM) – Resistance/Resilience/Remembrance – MOHAI – Museum of History & Industry, Seattle, WA. MOHAI — 1619: Resistance / Resilience / Remembrance
- June 19 (3 PM) – Juneteenth Freedom Day – Maritime Heritage Park, Bellingham, WA. Celebrate freedom from slavery at Bellingham Juneteenth | Bellingham Herald
- June 19 (2 PM) – Juneteenth Rally Live in Everett – Everett-Snohomish County District Court, Everett, WA. Juneteenth Rally — Live in Everett
- June 19 (5 PM) – Juneteenth Protest – Forest Park, Everett, WA. Juneteenth Protest, Forest Park Everett Wa., Mukilteo, 19 June 2021 (stayhappening.com)
- June 19 (10 AM) – Juneteenth: A Celebration of Resistance – Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, Spokane, WA. Juneteenth: A Celebration of Resistance | Northwest Museum of Arts & Culture | Community, Museums, Film | The Pacific Northwest Inlander | News, Politics, Music, Calendar, Events in Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and the Inland Northwest
- June 19 (7 PM) – Juneteenth Comedy Night presented by the Spokane NAACP – Bing Crosby Theater, Spokane, WA. The Pacific Northwest Inlander | News, Politics, Music, Calendar, Events in Spokane, Coeur d'Alene and the Inland Northwest
Coeur d’Alene, ID
- June 19 (2 PM) – Juneteenth Community Panel – Human Rights Education Institute, Coeur d’Alene, ID. JUNETEENTH COMMUNITY PANEL AND ANNUAL CHILI TASTING Tickets, Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 2:00 PM | Eventbrite
06/02/2021The Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching is K-12 STEM teacher's highest honor Six Washington math and science teachers have been selected as finalists for the Presidential Award for...Read More
05/25/2021When Kristen Berwald went to college, she didn't know the profession existed. She knew she wanted to be an educator and she had a deep interest in psychology, but she didn't discover the field until she was...Read More