2022-23 WEA Committees and Contacts
Benefits Services Advisory Board (BSAB)
Monitor transition process to the state medical insurance program (SEBB).
- Chair Dan Gossett
- Committee members: Eric Askeland, Kathie Axtell, Monika Christensen, Swan Eaton, Deb Hansen, Steve Mayer, Andi Nofziger-Meadows
Budget and Finance Committee
Receives a report and/or recommendation on the budget prior to each board meeting. Makes recommendations as needed for the WEA Board and WEA Representative Assembly. Reviews audits.
- Co-Chairs Janie White
- Committee members: Kathie Axtell, Shawn Brehm, Vallerie Fisher, Justin Fox-Bailey, Tani Lindquist, Shawna Moore, Audra Shaw, Jeremy Shay, Keith Swanson, Pamela Wilson
Change, Innovation and Achievements Committee (CIA)
Develops strategies and make recommendations to the WEA Board to promote quality education for students Pre-K through Graduate School.
- Co-Chairs Shannon Rasmussen and Filma Fontanilla
- Committee members: Michael Cook, Debby Chandler, Jennifer Collins, Daniel Harada, Glenn Jenkins, Anna-Melissa Lyons, Howard Mawhinney, Cameron Munro, Elizabeth Ward-Robertson
Children’s Fund Board
Oversees the activities of the Children’s Fund and makes recommendations for systemic changes to sustain the fund.
- Chair Janie White
- Committee members: Barb Cruz, Cookie Grant-Suggs, Mary Lindsey, Kirsten Nicholson, Jan Olmstead, Marilyn O'Malley-Hicks, Martha Patterson, Yelonda Wilke
Classified Dues Work Team
Reviews the classified dues.
- Chair Debby Chandler
- Committee members: Kathie Axtell, Jen Ben, Joshua Boe, Aneeka Ferrell, Vallerie Fisher, Jan Olmstead
Credentials Work Team
Prepares report and/or recommendations concerning procedures for registration of delegates and alternates for the RA.
- Co-Chairs Lori Byrnes and Janet Caldwell
- Committee members: Penny Cramer, Michelle Guzman, Maria Lee, Kari Van Nostran
Documents and Resolutions Work Team
Organizes the business of the Representative Assembly in consultation with the President.
- Co-Chairs Deb Hansen and Audra Shaw
- Committee members: Kathy Casey, Mark Craypo, Julianna Dauble, Thomas Fairchild, Antoinette Felder, Lynn Maiorca, Cerra Sand, Zack Stockdale, Joe Thayer, Matt Yeager
Provides advice to local union leadership and WEA staff on matters pertaining to ESA Professionals (Education Support Associates).
- Chair Carrie Suchy
- Committee members: Mary Bauer, Genie Charvet, Sharon Conrad, Teasha Corrado, Paul Diaz, Dotty Handley, Amy Lineaweaver, Jenny Morgan, Kirsten Nicholson, Melissa Peterson, Denise Reddinger, Kim Senger, Jennifer Thor, Sarah Willsie, Lupe Wolfe
ESP Action Coordinating Team (ACT)
Advocate for and advise education support professional (ESP) locals.
- Co-Chairs Debby Chandler and Vallerie Fisher
- Committee members: Kathie Axtell, Shodea Chapman, Barb Cruz, Antoinette Felder, Mary Hilton, Pamella Johnson, Jan Olmstead, Brenda Overdorff, Alisha Rasmussen, Marla Rasmussen, Jacob Robinson, Patrice Robinson, Valisia Simpson, Yelonda Wilke
Responsible for exercising the general authority of the WEA Board of Directors as needed between regular meetings of the Board.
- Larry Delaney, President
- Janie White, Vice President
- Vallerie Fisher, Seattle
- Daniel Harada, Federal Way
- Glenn Jenkins, Auburn
- Vicky Jensen, Eastern Region
- Tani Lindquist, Mercer Island
- Pamela Sepúlvida Wilson, Monroe
- Keith Swanson, Walla Walla
Health and Safety Committee
Works with members, staff, school districts, parents and community groups to improve and make school buildings safe and healthy for staff and students.
- Chair Sandy Hunt and Barb Cruz
- Committee members: Jen Ben, Silas Berry, Joe Bento, Arielle Brown, Amy Campbell, Julianna Dauble, Gina Harada, Tim Martin, Liz Pray, Alisha Rasmussen, Jill Rock, Robert Sanchez, Suzanne Southland, Jennifer Vandever
Hearing and Appeals Board
Provides a formal channel by which members can appeal a decision by WEA staff denying WEA funding for a grievance or legal case.
- Co-Chairs Martha Patterson and Jim Schell
- Committee members: Jeb Binns, Justin Fox-Bailey, Vallerie Fisher, Michael Cook, Margarita Morfin, Nicole Way, Terri Winkler, Pamella Johnson
Human and Civil Rights Committee (HCR)
Committee designed to plan and develop long-term solutions for our members to better reflect the students that we educate.
- Co-Chairs Shawna Moore and Anita Benitez
- Committee members: James Alexander, Brett Allen, Buddy Bear, Silas Berry, Kaitlin-Kamalei Brandon, Shawn Brehm, Devon Del Rosario, Aneeka Farrell, Filma Fontanilla, Katie Hayes, Pamella Johnson, Krystle Lyons, Megan Miles, Summer Stoner, Cam Swarts, JD Sweet
Legislative Strategy Committee
Committee that designs short- and long-term strategies to achieve positive legislative impact for the WEA membership.
- Co-Chairs Jenn Black and Jared Kink
- Committee members: Amy Campbell, Debby Chandler, Marj Hogan, Pamella Johnson, Mary Lindsey, Rebecca Lewis, Bill Lyne, Sue Nightingale, John Richardson, Patrice Robinson, Sandra Robinson, Audra Shaw
NEA Convention Work Team
Plans and coordinates WEA’s participation in the NEA Representative Assembly.
- Chair Andrea Fuller
- Committee members: Debby Chandler, Mary Clift, Mark Cole, Mark Craypo, Pam Fuelling, Debra Hansen, Maria Lee, Michael Lewis, Ray Nelson, Tim Voie
Nominations and Elections Work Team
Coordinates notification and procedures of Association nominations and elections and tabulate ballots.
- Chair Eric Pickens
- Committee members: Jennifer Collins, Penny Cramer, Bob Gustin, Autumn Morrison, Zack Stockdale
Small Rural Committee
Engages small and/or rural locals to meet association needs and develops paths for connections to the council and state organizations.
- Co-Chairs Shawn Brehm and Anna-Melissa Lyons
- Committee members: Michael Alfred, Lori Byrnes, Michelle Fayette, Anne Ford McGrath, Brandon Howard, Anne Johnannsen, Karl Johnson, Pamella Johnson, Peter Knowles, Katie Leppanen, Eric Pickens, Caitlin Tumlinson, Cathleen WIlder
Approves requests from instructors for WEA to provide clock hours for their training.
- Co-Chairs Becca Ritchie and Caitlin Tumlinson
- Committee members: Jenaia Johnson, LaRhonda Kinzebach, Alisha Rasmussen, Ellen Simonis, Susan Smith
WEA Convention Work Team
Plans and coordinates the WEA Representative Assembly.
- Chair Maria Lee
- Committee members: Janet Calwell, Thom Garrard, Brittney Haggard, Peter Henry, Amanda Lackey, Tim Martin, Jennifer Matter, Courney Mense, Cameron Munro, Jan Olmstead, Cerra Sand, Wally Watson
WEA Substitute Committee
- Co-Chairs Mike Acord and Peter Henry
- Committee members: Angela Borovich, Venessa King Love, Angela Marshall, Jennifer McKasson, Tom O'Kelley, Becky Seiler, Peggy Solum