Substitute educators meet a vital need
As a substitute educator you know you face one of the most challenging jobs in education today. You are expected to step into an unknown class, often in an unknown building, on very short notice, and pick up ongoing lessons without the benefit of knowing exactly where a teacher left off or what material students have already covered.
Districts expect you to arrive prepared and professional. Students hope that lessons will be interesting and fun. And as an outsider to this particular class, you'll need savvy classroom management skills to successfully motivate students.
It's a tall order, and often you're expected to deliver without the professional support given to full-time teachers through district programs and courses. As a result, substitute educators face key issues that include:
- Professional wages, including increases to offset inflation.
- Due process involving workplace discipline and personnel decisions.
- Access to training and professional development.
- Adequate health insurance when working a long-term or high-frequency schedule.
- Better communication with a school's permanent staff.
How joining the WEA can help
You are eligible for full, Active membership in the WEA and NEA. Gain access to:
- Educators' Employment Liability Insurance through WEA/NEA.
- Access to the Attorney Referral Program for free consultations and discounted rates for personal legal needs.
- Access to the NEA Benefits program.
- Access to free and discounted professional development classes and clock-hour trainings.
- The chance to be a part of a community of passionate and talented educators.