The Inclusionary Practices Professional Development Project is a state-wide focus on professional development designed to support staff to increase inclusion for students with disabilities. The project is funded by OSPI and open to all educators and community members in Washington state (including education support professionals, administration, paraeducators, parents, special education personnel, and general education personnel.)
WEA’s Inclusionary Practices Project (IPP) is providing professional development asynchronous courses on the Canvas learning management system (LMS) (WEA Canvas URL: washingtonea.instructure.com). Clock Hours are available at no charge. Register for each course using the link listed next to the course name. You will receive an email confirmation from WEA as well as a registration email from Instructure/Canvas. Once you complete the course including the evaluation, you will receive a clock hour verification form within 7-10 business days.
These courses were created with flexibility in mind, hence there are no due dates for discussions or assignments, except for the final deadlines each year. You will move through the course at your own pace. Think of the course like a book with some interaction. While there are no due dates, there are some important deadlines listed below.
For questions, please contact WEA Canvas Administrator Kendru Dimalanta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday, May 29th, 2023
- Last day to register for a course
Monday, June 5th, 2023
- Last day to complete course and submit assignments
Monday, June 19th, 2023
- Last day to complete the Evaluation and Completion Confirmation for clock hours
Friday, June 30th, 2023
- Last day to record clock hours in OSPI eCertification for certificates expiring June 30th, 2023
For certificates expiring this year, the last day to submit an application through OSPI eCertification for certificate renewal is June 30th, 2023. However, WEA needs time to process your clock hours and time to address any issues that may occur, which is why the last date to complete the course is June 5th.
The courses have now closed for registration for the 2022-23 SY. Courses are not currently available during the summer. This page will be updated once courses are available again.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are these courses free?
- Yes, these courses are funded by the Inclusionary Practices Professional Development Project.
- Can I take part of a course for partial clock hours?
- No, you will have to complete the entire course and will recieve the number of clock hours listed.
- Do these courses count towards Fundamental Course of Study (FCS) for paraeducators?
- Do these courses count to the new Cultural competency, diversity, equity, and inclusion (CCDEI) standards or Equity-based school practices requirement?
- Depends. WEA is currently developing a process to identify courses as meeting the equity-based school practices requirement. Educators themselves confirm they have met a specific certificate renewal requirement when they record the hours in OSPI eCertification. OSPI may audit educator records. For more information, you can visit the PESB for details about the new requirement.
- Why can I only see my school courses but not the WEA courses I registered for?
- Each school/institution uses their own instance of Canvas. While your school/institution and WEA may both use Canvas, the websites are not the same or connected. WEA’s Canvas URL is https://washingtonea.instructure.com/. You will experience difficulties logging in you enter the incorrect login credentials for the incorrect Canvas instance.
- Who can I contact if I have questions?
- WEA Canvas Administrator Kendru Dimalanta at email@example.com